skip to main contentskip to navigation

User avatarnull Account

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions:

What sports does Benson Middle School offer and when are they offered?

All Benson Middle School sports follow the academic quarterly calendar:

  • All Year Sport- Knowledge Bowl/Academic Team
  • Quarter 1, July- Oct,  Girls Volleyball, Coed Cross Country
  • Quarter 2, Oct-Dec, Boys Basketball, Girls Softball
  • Quarter 3, Jan-Mar, Girls Basketball, Wrestling
  • Quarter 4, Mar-May, Boys Baseball, Coed Track and Field

NOTE: BMS does not offer Soccer or Football. These are provided by leagues in the Benson Community.


When can I expect sign ups/tryouts/practice to start?

Signups/tryouts/practice for Quarter 1 will fall in the first two weeks of school. Quarter 2, 3 & 4 signups will take place the week before Intersession Break. Tryouts and practice may begin when the previous season has ended. Example: Quarter 2 sports will sign up the week before fall break. They may tryout the same week or the Monday back from break. Due to rules in the CAC league we may only start a sport once the previous sport has concluded. If a team makes it to the championships its extends the season a week. We may not start the next quarter sport until the championship is played. This creates a tight and fast paced transition. It’s important for athletes to be observant of announcements and bulletins regarding sports at the end and start of each quarter.


When are sports packets/paperwork due?

Paperwork is due by the start of tryouts. It is the parent and athletes responsibility to ensure they have all the necessary requirements and paperwork on file.


What if paperwork/physical is late?

All requirements must be met and on file before the athlete may participate. The Athlete must be cleared and insured to play. No exceptions.


How do I turn in required paperwork and documentation?

Submit all required paperwork to the Benson Middle School office or it may be emailed to Venessa Nunez,

 What paperwork/requirements must my athlete have to participate?

  • Annual Preparticipation Physical Evaluation Form - Form must be signed by a doctor.
  • Annual Preparticipation Physical Examination Form - Physical exam must not be completed before March 1st of the year of participation. Form must be signed by a doctor.
  • Benson Middle School Sports Packet:
    • Athletic Participation Consent Form
    • Parent Code of Ethics Form
    • Concussion Annual Statement and Acknowledgement Form

In addition, every student athlete must have proof of health insurance. If your student does not have health insurance you may purchase very affordable coverage at This needs to be purchased before the student can participate. 

What equipment should my athlete bring to tryouts or first day practice?

Athletes should wear attire in alignment with their sport. Activity and participation starts on day one. Wear shoes appropriate to the sport the athlete is trying out for. Bring water. Bring gloves, shoes, pads or any equipment necessary for the sport. The coach will communicate any additional items needed.


How are tryouts/practices/start of seasons communicated?

  • Daily announcements/ PowerSchool daily bulletin.
  • Signs posted in office bulletin board/locker rooms.
  • Announcements at assemblies and lunch.
  • Information sheets sent home prior to sign ups/tryouts.

When is practice for my athlete?

Practice is communicated by the coach to the athletes. Typically practice is 3:00 PM-5:30 PM  Monday-Friday. Coaches may deviate from the typical 3:00-5:30 time to accommodate their needs.


Where do athletes meet at the end of the school day?

Coaches will meet on the first day at the middle school locker rooms. After the first day, coaches will advise athletes where to report.


Where can I find information on sports seasons?

On the Benson Middle School website [Click here] or by contacting the Benson Middle School office.


Is the sports paperwork and physical good for the whole school year?

Yes, one packet covers the athlete for the academic year.

The Physical is good for one year from the date it is signed by the Doctor. 

When are sports physicals offered by the school?

Each year in the Spring (March/April).


Where can I find the sports schedules?

  • Benson Middle School website [Click here]
  • Benson Middle School office
  • Coaches


If I have a compliment or concern who do I call/email?

All compliments or complaints should be addressed with the coach first at an appropriate time. Be courteous of coaches and do not discuss complaints during game play or after a game. Please wait to address the coach at an appropriate time.


Can my child ride a bus home from practice?

Yes, the buses depart the loading zone ( Football Stadium parking lot) at 5:30 PM. Click here to view the Athletic Bus Routes.


Is there practice on early release days?

It depends on the coach. Our district offers professional development for our staff on early release days. If the coach is a district teacher or employee they must attend the professional development. Some coaches are not employees therefore not mandated to attend the professional development. Non-employee coaches may choose to practice their teams. Coaches will communicate to their athletes if there is early release practice and at what times. If you do not know if there is practice, simply call the Benson Middle School office at (520) 720-6800 to inquire.

ADA Compliance Errors0
Benson Unified School District does not discriminate in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational programs or activities on the basis of race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or genetic information. The District also provides equal access to its facilities to the Boys Scouts and other designated youth groups, as required by the Boys Scouts of America Equal Access Act. Inquiries or complaints concerning Title VI, VII, IX, Section 504, and Americans with Disabilities Act may be referred to the BUSD Title IX and Section 504 Compliance Officer: Rusty Taylor, 360 S. Patagonia St., Benson, AZ 85602;; (520) 720-6733.
This website powered by SchoolBlocks